Embedly is an incredible technology that converts links into embedded content. The screenshot above shows how Embedly’s Parrotfish plugin (for Safari, Chrome and Firefox) works with Twitter.com to convert a shortened URL into an actual excerpt from the content on that page.
Storify and other so-called curation tools (see my What is curation storify) use Embedly, so I’m very excited about this and any other embedding technology, but I wonder how publishers who rely on on-site display advertising feel about tools that basically allow people to view some or all of their content without actually visiting their site.
What should publishers do about embedded content? Here are some crazy ideas.
- Accept that people get content in new ways that don’t involve visits to your site.
- Thank Embedly for building attribution, with links, into its API.
- Understand how to leverage embedded content to build your brand(s).
- Embed advertisements directly into your content.
- Figure out other ways to generate revenue.