These are select links tagged by members of my delicious.com network on Nov. 22. I’ve changed the post’s headline to reflect the date on which it is edited and posted. Please let me know if you find that misleading.
- The Flock (from solle) – “You get to shape the news mix at The Flock, rating articles by clicking on the Flock It button at the bottom of every article.”
- Should Newspapers Become Online Ad Brokers for Local Businesses? (fom vizeds) – “The most dramatic success is in getting hundreds of newspapers to develop products aimed at niches. They are generating new revenue streams and have added to the mass audience they have with news. And they can sell advertising to businesses that want to reach those niches.” – Mediashift interview with NewspaperNext’s Stephen Gray
- Rich Beckman discusses how to reshape journalism education (from greglinch) – Rich Beckman, Knight Chair in visual journalism at the University of Miami, gave a presentation on Nov. 11 about how we should reshape journalism education.
- UM School of Journalism Future of New Media Panel (from yeltsinfina) – Loooooooong panel from UM centennial with folks from media, mobile, tv, and more.
- Overload! By Columbia Journalism Review (from denoted) – “To win the war for our attention, news organizations must make themselves indispensable by producing journalism that helps make sense of the flood of information that inundates us all.”
- Who’s watching the watchdogs? (from amonck) – “Doctors should be wary of the increasing entanglement of medical journalists and the drug industry, warn Lisa Schwartz, Steven Woloshin, and Ray Moynihan.”
- Multiscreen Mad Men (from yeltsinfina) – Three gurus from the next generation of advertising debate how best to sell soap in a post-TV world. “If you want to attract new viewers who might want to interact with the news, you need to locate streams of content where those viewers are.”
- Newsquest cuts one in six journalists at Northern Echo (from denoted) – “Management at the Northern Echo revealed today that five district offices are to be closed. … They said that the cuts … needed to be in place by 1 January. “
- The BBC could save local media (from denoted) – “The BBC Trust has terminated the Corporation’s plans for a big new local news service. Here’s the nub of it”